African_Dispatches

A travel blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Postscript to Adriene's trip

I'm back and surprised at how very quickly I have re-entered my life here. I'm trying hard to let the lessons and experiences of my time away resonate as fully as I can, but my neck is already hurting from not taking enough breaks from the computer, and I already had a near irate exchange with a hapless customer service person. Thankfully I pulled back after being embarassed by my own impatience, but I have to admit I'm saddened by how quickly the usual concerns take me over. I'm back to the place where I need to "work on things" on myself I'm not happy with, andback to living the illusion of being responsible for my (and others!) destiny, instead of the profoundly peaceful place of understanding and accepting my very human limitations.

Thanks to all for the many debriefing conversations I have been having. And thanks for your kind comments about the blog in general. After my friend Martha queried me about the political realities of the countries we were visiting I wrote the following:

The blog is really an odd way to communicate while travelling. With so short time (public internet cafes have limited time either because people are waiting or cost prohibitive or the thing is very slow so you just want to do the minimum) so alot of the more profound observations that need time (and editing) to craft what I really want to say are put aside in favor of the travel story...which does get a bit ridiculous, especially since I realize they invariably make me look really brave and in reality I'm quite timid in many situations.

So you'll need to talk to me to get the unfiltered, more subtle experiences.

Hung is still out there. Last note to me was from Masvingo ZIM. He says not to worry that everyone there is very chill and congenial. He is threatening to blog some, but the blogger page would not even open at the very slow terminal he was at, so you'll have to continue to wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home